North Carolina Provides COVID-19 Sales Tax Relief
As COVID-19 (a.k.a. New Coronavirus) continues to spread and hold our businesses and economy hostage, State governments are starting to respond with much-needed relief by offering things like filing and payment deadline extensions for sales and use tax returns. In some cases, penalties and/or interest due to late payments are being waived as well.
To date, the North Carolina Department of Revenue (NCDOR) has issued the following taxpayer relief:
- NCDOR will not impose penalties for failure to file a return or failure to pay a tax that is due on March 15, 2020, through July 15, 2020, if the return is filed, or tax is paid on or before July 15, 2020. This relief applies to the following types of tax:
- Income and Franchise Tax (See Important Notice);
- Withholding Tax;
- Sales and Use Tax;
- Scrap Tire Disposal Tax;
- White Goods Disposal Tax;
- Motor Vehicle Lease and Subscription Tax;
- Solid Waste Disposal Tax;
- 911 Service Charge for Prepaid Telecommunications Service;
- Dry-Cleaning Solvent Tax;
- Primary Forest Products Tax;
- Freight Car Line Companies; and
- Various Taxes Administered by the Excise Tax Division (See Important Notice)
Be sure to check back frequently as we will add new information and updates as they become available. It is important for business owners, North Carolina sales tax lawyers, CPA’s and other professionals to stay up to speed on this fluid situation. Also reference the NCDOR website for the latest state tax guidance.
Sales Tax Consulting Services
Get a free 30-minute Consultation
We want to work with you! We would love to understand your problems, questions, and concerns. For that reason, we are offering our famous, free 30-minute consulting call where we get to know more about you and your business. Just click the link below and schedule your call.